News:

Welcome to the Chironomid Exchange Forum! Use this resource to discuss midge matters with the world-wide community of researchers, and to stay up-to-date on important data, e.g. in standard reference publications.
Please report to moderators any spammers or attempts to use this forum for purposes other than the exchange of scientific information related to the science of Chironomidae or entomology. Thank you!
Ethan and Martin - Moderators

Main Menu

How many species of Lauterborniella Thienemann and Bause, 1913 are valid?

Started by Baranov_Viktor, March 29, 2016, 03:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baranov_Viktor

Dear all!

I am describing fossil species of Lauterborniella from the Eocene. So, I can't help wondering how many species described in the genus are still valid, apart from L. agrayloides. Has L. fuscoguttata been transferred, and what about others of Freeman's (1958) species?

Thank you in advance!
Viktor

Martin Spies

Dear Viktor,

Looking into this 'quantitatively' would take more time than I can spare right now, but checking fairly quickly I have not found any scientific species name other than L. agrayloides.

Polypedilum fuscoguttatum Kieffer, 1922 and several other names have been treated as synonyms of Zavreliella marmorata (van der Wulp, 1859) at least since Reiss's (1990) revision of the latter genus in Spixiana 13: 83-115. You can find this synonymy in Fauna europaea, if you use the database's old website (http://www.faunaeur.org/?no_redirect=1) rather than the new one (http://www.fauna-eu.org/), which strikes me as rather worthless.

Kribiomimus longiventris Goetghebuer, 1936 from Africa seems to have remained unplaced in any genus since Reiss (1990: 84) stated that it fits neither Lauterborniella nor Zavreliella.

Chironomus lamprothorax Kieffer, 1911 from India was transferred to Lauterborniella by Chaudhuri & Guha (1987) in Ent. scand Suppl. 29: 28, but at that time the genus was still treated in a much wider sense than today, e.g. including several species now placed in Apedilum or Zavreliella. Kieffer's original description pertains to adult females only, and does not enable one to evaluate inclusion in / exclusion from Lauterborniella.

Best of luck !

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What organization voided Meigen 1800 names?:
What family name are non-biting midges?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview