News:

Welcome to the Chironomid Exchange Forum! Use this resource to discuss midge matters with the world-wide community of researchers, and to stay up-to-date on important data, e.g. in standard reference publications.
Please report to moderators any spammers or attempts to use this forum for purposes other than the exchange of scientific information related to the science of Chironomidae or entomology. Thank you!
Ethan and Martin - Moderators

Main Menu

Chironomus nuditarsis

Started by Bruno Rossaro, December 01, 2023, 07:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno Rossaro

Chironomus nuditarsis Keyl, 1961 is the correct denomination ?
The original description is in Arch. Hydrobiol, 58, 1961 ?
where only cytological characters are given and Str. is considered the author  ?
Where one can find the first description of the adult male ?

Bruno Rossaro

At present I have received no reply; my opinion is that
Keyl, H.-G. 1961 Die cytologische Diagnostik der Chironomiden. III. Diagnose von Chironomus parathummi n.sp. und Ergänzungen zur Bestimmungstabelle Arch. Hydrobiol. 58: 1-6.
is the correct citation, even if only cytogenetic characters are given in this paper and C. nuditarsis is not cited as a n. sp. but with Str. as author;
the first adult description that I have found, emphasizing the different BR value between plumosus and nuditarsis is in
Rosin, S., Fischer, J. 1965 Geschlechtsgekoppelte Inversionen bei Chironomus nuditarsis Str. Arch. Julius-Klaus-Stift. VererbForsch. 40: 26-35.
so it is not clear to me how Keyl, 1961 used the name nuditarsis Str.; it seems that Strenzke had just described the adult before 1961, but I have not found where

Martin Spies

Dear Bruno,

In my opinion you are right that the name Chironomus nuditarsis is nomenclaturally available from the Keyl (1961) work you refer to. The material had been generated by Strenzke, who apparently never got around to describing the species morphologically. However, in

Klötzli, A. M. (1974) Revision der Gattung Chironomus Meig. V. Chironomus nuditarsis Keyl. Morphologische Beschreibung und Vergleich mit ähnlichen Arten. Archiv Hydrobiol. 74(1): 68-81. [publd "August 1974"; in German, with English abstract]

the author reported on page 69 that Keyl had 'courteously made available for our morphological work the nuditarsis material collected by Strenzke'.

Thus, for morphology I would (first) consult Klötzli's work, even if some morphological data may be found in earlier publications. The publication sequence of morphological treatments of the species is nomenclaturally irrelevant, as the species name is available from Keyl (1961).

For all such cases involving names in Chironomus, please recall - among possible others - the following two highly useful sources of information.

Lindeberg, B., Wiederholm, T. (1979) Notes on the taxonomy of European species of Chironomus (Diptera: Chironomidae). In: Sæther, O. A. (ed.): Recent developments in chironomid studies (Diptera: Chironomidae). Ent. scand. Suppl. 10: 99-116.

Dr. Jon Martin's highly helpful webpages, e.g. https://www.chironomidae.net/Martin/JMRes.html, in the present case especially https://www.chironomidae.net/Martin/Chironfiles/Names.htm

Best regards,

Martin Spies (SNSB-ZSM, Munich)

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What organization voided Meigen 1800 names?:
In what Meigen 1800 family name is Orthocladius?: