News:

Welcome to the Chironomid Exchange Forum! Use this resource to discuss midge matters with the world-wide community of researchers, and to stay up-to-date on important data, e.g. in standard reference publications.
Please report to moderators any spammers or attempts to use this forum for purposes other than the exchange of scientific information related to the science of Chironomidae or entomology. Thank you!
Ethan and Martin - Moderators

Main Menu

A new strange head capsule form Guatemala

Started by Laci Hamerlik, April 19, 2017, 10:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laci Hamerlik

Dear all,

This head capsule was found in the littoral sediment of lake Las Pozas, Guatemala. In my opinion it could be a Pseudochironomini, however, the genus name is a mystery to me. Do you know what is it? Also, if you dont but you know something about its ecology (you might have collected it), please let me know.
Thanks,
Laci

Martin Spies

Dear Laci,

Your hypothesis of placement in 'Pseudochironomini' looks sensible, and the mentum reminds me of the second "major type" of Pseudochironomus larvae discussed and illustrated in John Epler's (2001) identification manual for the U.S. Carolinas (please see page 8.137 there).

One useful test may be to check whether the mandibular seta subdentalis is on the same (dorsal) side of the mandible as the seta interna, or on the opposite (ventral) side.

Cheers,

Martin Spies

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What family name are non-biting midges?:
In what Meigen 1800 family name is Orthocladius?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview